8/06/2009

John Hughes (1950 - 2009)

How sad. Another great talent suddenly lost and way too soon. John Hughes was responsible for most of the best movie one-liners in existence today. He was such an incredible writer. Pure genius. So witty and hilarious. I have SO, SO many memories associated with his movies. He truly defined an entire era - which luckily was 'my generation'.

Below are my top 10 favorite John Hughes films and some of the best lines that came out of them... in no particular order. :)

Uncle Buck – 1989

“Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!”

She’s Having a Baby – 1988

Howard: How do you feel about slave wages?
Jefferson "Jake" Edward Briggs: Slave wages are okay.
Russ Bainbridge: How do you feel about alcoholics?
Jefferson "Jake" Edward Briggs: Um, I like alcoholics?


Pretty in Pink – 1986

“His name is Blane? That's a major appliance, that's not a name!”

Weird Science – 1985

“So, what would you little maniacs like to do first?”

Sixteen Candles – 1984
“No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food.”

Breakfast Club – 1985

“The next time I have to come in here I'm crackin' skulls.”

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – 1986

“Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.”

The Great Outdoors – 1988

“Pontoon boat? Whaddya going to do with a pontoon boat? Retake Omaha Beach?”

Home Alone – 1990

“Buzz! Your girlfriend! Woof!”

And lastly - the funniest movie of all time - and one that needs more then one quote sampled...

Christmas Vacation – 1989

Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark: I wasn't talking to you.


Eddie: You surprised to see us, Clark?
Clark: Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.


“You want to hurry this up, Clark? I'm freezing my baguettes off.”

Rusty Griswold: Dad, this tree won't fit in our back yard.
Clark: It's not going in the yard, Russ. It's going in the living room.


Clark: So, when did you get the tenement on wheels?
Eddie: Oh, that uh, that there's an RV. Yeah, yeah, I borrowed it off a buddy of mine. He took my house, I took the RV. It's a good looking vehicle, ain't it?
Clark: Yeah, it looks so nice parked in the driveway.
Eddie: Yeah, it sure does. But, don't you go falling in love with it now, because, we're taking it with us when we leave here next month.


Eddie: "Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey. And, the older boy, bless his soul, is preparing for his career."
Clark: "College?"
Eddie: "Carnival."
Clark: "You got to be proud."
Eddie: "Oh, yeah. Yeah, last season he was a pixie-dust spreader on the Tilt-O-Whirl. He thinks that maybe next year, He'll be guessing people's weight or barking for the Yak woman. You ever see her?"
Clark: "No."
Eddie: "She's got these big horns growing right out above her ears. Yeah, she's ugly as sin, but a sweet gal. And, a hell of a good cook."


“Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?”

“Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.”

Ruby Sue: Rocky bit my thumb. Him's nervous.
Clark: Nervous or excited?
Ruby Sue: Shittin' bricks.
Clark: You shouldn't use that word.
Ruby Sue: Sorry. Shittin' rocks


I am totally not kidding. We use most of these lines on a weekly basis in our house.

Aaawwwwww. Good times! Good times!

No comments: